Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rhubarb Cake





This time of the year always takes me back to my childhood. Yesterday, in the taproot box we got rhubarb. I was immediately taken back to rural Nova Scotia in my grandparents kitchen waiting for my Nan to take the warming pot of stewed rhubarb off the stove. Stewed Rhubarb was often an after school treat with toast. Sometimes my mom made it for us for breakfast. So yummy. I have not made stewed rhubarb for my children because I am not sure texturally it would go over so well with the fussy eaters at our house. I do however, make the most divine rhubarb cake.

This morning very early I got up to make a second one for the children at Maple Tree. Last night I made one for our family and I thought it would be a real treat for my Maple Tree family to have it for dessert today. Here's hoping they love it as much!

Rhubarb Cake

1 1/2 Cups sugar
2/3 Cup vegetable oil
1 Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup Plain yogurt (buttermilk works also)

21/2 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt

11/2 Cups Rhubarb

Mix wet ingredients together and in a separate bowl mix dry ingredients together. Add the chopped rhubarb to the dry ingredients and then mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir until just blended together. Pour into a cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for approx 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.

Happy Baking!


1 comment:

  1. Seriously, this is one of the best cakes ever. You should forward to Taproot too!

    ReplyDelete