Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The next phase.....

We have chrysalis! I came in this morning and discovered that we needed to move our caterpillars who are now in the chrysalis stage into the next new home. This meant some careful construction and good eye sight. I started off by taping the chrysalis to the top of the lid on my glass container but it wasn't so secure. It also looked awful. So I went out to the garden with a couple of friends and we clipped some branches and bent them into the jars. With the most careful hands ever I tied thread onto the chrysalis and tied them to the branches hanging upside down just as they are supposed to be. In less than two weeks we will have painted lady butterfly's!

This whole process has been very interesting and I've learned so much about it. To actually have the life cycle models on our shelf for the children to use and explore is great but to see it unfold for real is extraordinary. I know we are all enjoying the nature table so much!



2 comments:

  1. Yes, they look great! So very interesting for the adults too (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I was super tense hanging them up with thread! I am crossing my fingers they all work out. I may need to buy a butterfly house next year!

    ReplyDelete