Thursday, January 19, 2012

Full of Beans

This was todays lunch.  I thought I would post a picture and where I got the recipe.  The food is always a big hit at the school and today was no exception.  We will make it again.  The only thing you can't see is that I added corn to the mix after the fact.  I made this at my home as I was home for part of the morning with a sick girl.  Did you know that it is easier to digest beans if they are served with corn?  I think the next time we make this we will turn it into a burrito with grated cheddar and sour cream and salsa!  The recipe is super easy and very tasty I picked it up from Unplugged Sunday.  The recipe called for pinto beans but I used kidney beans as they were more readily available.  I soaked the beans over night and changed the water and boiled them for about 11/2 hours early this morning.  Did I also mention that we served this with Milkshakes today?  Yup, I lost my head today and we used up some birthday ice cream we had  in the freezer.  Your children really loved milkshakes and beans!

3 comments:

  1. love it! sounds like fun - and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good and EASY! I'm going to give it a try. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good combination for sure, we actually had a similar plate but isn't dry, is made with the beans broth, the whole beans and rice, like a soup. It is delicious too!

    ReplyDelete