Monday, March 14, 2011

There are Fairies in our Forest

For some time now, I have been longing for a truly lovely nature table/space in our classroom. We have off-and-on had a science and nature tray but it seems to get removed because something has been damaged our it just isn't age-approperiate at that moment. I feel frustrated at this and feel bad when I take it off the shelf.

I have a friend that has the most magical space where she lives, and she keeps a most incredible and inviting nature table in her livingroom. I am constantly inspired by the beauty she brings to that space and how effortless it seems to be. I am learning, and she is my teacher even if she doesn't know it.

This weekend I found myself buying cat grass and tiny muscari flowers at the farmers market. I
wasn't even thinking about a nature table at that moment, just that it would it feel amazing to run your hand along this grass. What a sensory experience for the children.

When I found this idea for a fairy garden, I knew what I was going to do and then it just morphed into this amazing space that has now become our nature table. I promise to always have it from now on. I will be encouraging the children to bring things they find that we may enjoy from this new space in our classroom.

I could not resist the playmobile fairies! The children made a storey with our practicum student based on what they thought was going on in that garden. In addition to that we read "The Story of the Root-Children" by Sibylle Von Olfers. Such a magical space. Many children came to that space today and they were quiet, thoughtful, and playful. Everyone should have a Fairy Garden!


2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and magical! I love what you've done. It will just build and evolve naturally throughout the seasons.

    My own needs a good spring facelift and you have inspired me!!! Maybe it's time I wake up those little root babies (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love those root babies! I need to get a copy of that book myself.
    Glad your back!!

    ReplyDelete