Monday, March 28, 2011

A Conversation with Little Miss M


It is so funny the way that children say things or what and how they choose to confide in us. I used to feel cranky at the thought of going to playground. For me, it is time away from the classroom when I could be prepping the next project or creating something new for the shelves.

Lately, I have come to really enjoy my time at playground, and I have developed even deeper relationships with the children because of it. They see me in a different light and less serious. Today, I had the most interesting conversation with my friend, little Miss M. She was at the front of my line and the conversation started off like this:

"My mom got a new car."

"Wow," I said, "that is exciting!"

Miss M said, "Yup, it has a hand-dryer in it!"

I asked, "What colour is your new car?"

"Black," replied Little Miss M.

"Excuse me, Ms. Mashell, wouldn't it be great if it was a rocketship car? It would be so fast!"

"Yes," I replied, "but have you ever seen a rocketship car around?"

"No." Then, Little Miss M said, "I have gum in my doctors kit at my Daddy's house and he doesn't have a car, just a lot of stairs. Ms. Mashell?"

"Yes."

"I made a new friend today."

"Who is it?" I asked.

"You, Ms. Mashell! Your my new best Friend!"

"Wow!" I exclaimed. And, WOW is how I feel. I am so lucky to be Little Miss M's friend. And that, my friends, was the BEST part of my day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment