Tuesday, March 29, 2011

All Things Good


Today started with a fresh batch of home-made granola. I make it so often at home that I thought it would be a treat and a nice change from our usual plain bowl of vanilla yogurt. Boy, was I right; the children gobbled it up. What made it especially tasty was the drizzle of freshly boiled Maple Syrup! Yes, you heard me correctly. I had a parent show up with about eight litres of maple sap this morning for us to turn into syrup.

So...I ran home and got the Coleman stove and some fuel. I set it up right outside our front door so the children could watch it boil away. Before we started the stove though, we all tasted the sap and discovered that it really doesn't taste like much. This came as a bit of a surprise to many of the children, and then there were questions about how it would turn into the wonderful sweet yumminess that we put on our pancakes. We talked about the process and Ms. Melanie read the story "At Grandpa's Sugar Bush" by Margaret Carney and Janet Wilson.


Then, we watched all morning long, off-and-on, taking turns, so that all our friends could see what was happening to the sap in the pot. At 1:00 p.m., I brought it into the kitchen to finish the last bit of boiling and to make sure it didn't scorch. I think we ended up with about half a cup of liquid gold. I understand now why it is so expensive to buy and just how much sap it takes to make a large bottle! It really was a great exercise for the children to watch and learn from.
After playground, we were able to enjoy it on top of our yogurt and granola. We also went around with
tasting sticks and sampled it just on it's own. So much goodness today and so much fun. Thank You Julie!!

Granola
4 Cups old fashioned oats1 1/2 Cups almonds or peacans1/2 Cup packed brown sugar1/2 tsp salt1/2 tsp ground cinnamon1/4 Cup canola oil1/4 Cup Nova Scotia honey1 tsp vanilla1 1/2 Cups raisins (optional)
Mix the oats, salt, cinnamon and, brown sugar together in a bowl. Next heat the oil and honey on the stove gently (not to hot just enough to melt the honey) and whisk in vanilla. Pour this over the oat mixture and mix really well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Pour into a cookie sheet and bake at 300 for 40 minutes. (I usually bake a bit longer as I like mine more golden brown. You must remember to give it a stir every 10 minutes or so. When it is done let it cool and store in an air tight container.

1 comment:

  1. Oh!!! I wish I had been there today! I would have loved to have seen this and the children's reaction. What a great experience. Your granola sounds yummy. I'm addicted to it as well. I dump in whatever I've got on hand and recently added quinoa flakes and flax seeds. Yum. Great addition to the yogurt!

    ReplyDelete