Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Camping we will go...

Our Circle Time Campfire

 The school year has ended and we are full on into our Summer Program .  The Summer program is new to me this year as I have never offered it before or worked a summer in a number of years.  I am having a blast!  I thought I would feel exhausted but sometimes a change is just as good as a break.  Our Montessori Classroom has been put away and we are full on with lots of art, adventure and free play!
I took this opportunity  to set up our gigantic tent for pretend play but also it is our place to gather for stories and songs.  The tent is a big hit.  We have also enjoyed a lovely camp fire and some pretty cool art activities.
We made some large trees.  I have a client who asked me in March if I wanted a bunch of sono tubes and I said yes not knowing how I would use them at the time.  They sure came in handy when we built our forest.  We have since painted out tree tops green and built many more trees.  It is definitely feeling like we are on an adventure.  What else can I use those sono tubes for?  I wonder...
Ferry Trip to Dartmouth
Speaking of adventures...we hopped on the bus and went down to the waterfront to catch the ferry over to Alderney Landing.  It never ceases to amaze me just how excited children get, to go on a bus and a ferry.  We are so lucky to live in such a great town and have access to good public transit.
Duck, Duck, Goose

Once we got to our destination, we stopped for a snack and a game of duck, duck, goose and freeze tag.
Stain glass Butterflies
We also made some beautiful stain glass butterflies.  Not sue I would do those again.  it was a ton of prep on my end (well actually Ms. Ann's end)! Thanks Ann for all that cutting last week.

Camping Lanterns
We also made some lanterns.  We used large mason jars and we glued tissue paper all over and lit them up with tea lights for our rainy afternoon movie of Mary Poppins!  We encouraged the children to bring their sleeping bags.  Ahhhhhhh I just love cozy rainy afternoons with a good movie and popcorn next to the campfire.   ~michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment