Monday, June 17, 2013

Gardening Here or There

community Garden plot
 Today my body is tired.  Good tired.  In my house we spent our entire weekend building and planting our raised garden beds.  It has been a long time coming for us.  This time last year, we were knee deep in moving in and renovations had started.  It wasn't much of a summer and I hope we never have to live like that or experience that kind of stress ever again.

This summer already feels so much better and now that our garden space has been established, a weight has been lifted.  I really need and crave that garden space so much.  I can't explain how much joy it brings me to putter in that space and by extension to teach the children about plants, seeds, growing and harvesting.
Community Garden plot

mud pile at Community Garden plot
 It was my intention to take on another garden plot and we purchased two for Maple Tree this year at the Common Roots Site.  We have even gone so far as to get one of the beds partially built.  The problem is that the sits spot is actually really far from water, soil and shed.  Also, our children were told not to climb on the mud pile. I get it but really what's better then a mud pile.  The hours also for the Community Garden plot don't work for us.  The garden shed is open from 3 to 6 PM daily and that's when the water is turned on.  Those hours do not work for preschoolers.

I also hate the idea of all the complicated busing for our Cork Street Campus Children and so for these reasons I am letting go of this space and plan.
Maple Tree Garden Quinpool Campus
That doesn't mean that I've given up on the idea of gardening with your children though!  On the contrary, I plan to bring them to the Quinpool site instead, where the hours are better, there is always a bathroom that is child size and friendly, where all dirt can be climbed on and played with and where we have a fenced back yard in shade for the children who just don't want to garden or need a break from it and want to play.  Yes indeed we are gardening for sure and there will be many trips to the Quinpool Garden plot to play and learn!
Raised Vegetable Beds

Cucumbers and Sand Cherries

Cutting Garden Flowers and Herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment