Thursday, April 26, 2012

Story Stones

 Ms. Melanie made these lovely story stones a while ago.  At first I thought they were matching work or grading and they certainly could e used for that.  This week I asked a child who works with them a lot if I could sit and watch and listen.  He was telling or making up a story based on the different pictures that were present on the rocks.

This is really a fantastic idea and timely in our classroom as so many children are writing their own stories or acting them out in the afternoon.  I am learning all the time, there are so many ways to reach children.  I love how much literacy work and inspiration is all around us in our classroom right now.  The story stones came from another early childhood educator who is not a montessori teacher  but incredibly inspiring.  Deborah J. Stewart keeps a very interesting blog at Teach Preschool.  The story stones are her brainchild and well loved by the children at Maple Tree.  Thank You Ms. Melanie for another great project!

3 comments:

  1. The story stones are so pretty and must be wonderful to hold in your hands. No wonder the kids love to imagine with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make some of these
    Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea! I bet you are having a fun time hearing all the stories.

    ReplyDelete