Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Holy Hot Cross Buns!

 It's almost Easter and I am feeling nostalgic for my Nan.  Every year, she made the most incredible hot cross buns.  She would make pans and pans of them and we knew to just stop in and eat ourselves silly on them.  I learned many things from my Nan and I miss her dearly.

I would like to think that in some small way today I was channeling her or that she was with me in spirit as we made hot cross buns at the school.

As a child I remember measuring the flour and mixing by hand the dough.  My Nan wasn't much of a cake maker or cook but she could make bread and especially hot cross buns.

This is only the second time in my life that I have ever made these beauties.  The first time they were tough and not not as tasty and it was a bust.  I decided we would make them at Maple Tree because I was craving them from my youth but also because I felt like I MUST have that bread making gene in me and that I owed it to my grandmother to try once again.


 So, we mixed and kneaded and waited...

This time, they did not disappoint.  They were Divine!  Thank you Nan!


Hot Cross Buns

½ Cup dried Currants- Place currants in a pot with enough water to just cover and gently bring to boil.  Do not boil.  Remove from heat and drain.  Next sprinkle 2 Tbs cold water over them and ¼ tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and ground ginger.  Mix spices into currants and set aside.

In a small bowl dissolve 1 package of active dry yeast with 3 Tbs warm water (warm to the touch not to hot) Set your timer for 5 minutes and collect your other ingredients

1 cup whole or low fat milk warmed in a pot (warm to touch not to hot)
add to this milk 5 Tbs melted butter, 3 Tbs sugar, 1 large egg, 1tsp salt.  Add these ingredients to your bowl of yeast and gently mix. 

Next add 2 Cups of Bread Flour to the yeast mixture and pour dough on to your counter.  Add Currants and 1 ½ cups more all purpose to your dough as you kneed it.  When You may need more or less flour depending on the dough.  I needed all my flour.  Knead dough about 10 minutes.  Oil a large bowl and place dough into bowl to rise (it will rest for 11/2 hours).  Cover your bowl with oiled plastic wrap and a tea towel to keep warm.  I warmed my oven up so it was warm enough to have dough rise.

After the dough has rested for 11/2 hours, punch dough down and shape into buns.  Place buns on a greased cookie sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap for the last rising.  Let rise last time for 1 hour. 

Brush top of buns with melted butter and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.  Longer or less depending on your oven.  Let cool completely and make crosses on top with icing sugar and water ½ Cup icing sugar to 1 Tbs milk or water.

Enjoy and Happy Easter!

5 comments:

  1. So delicious !!! And Happy Easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet and now I have to try making some myself. See why the vegan thing could be hard (: I love butter!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look lovely, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This buns looks delicious!! I'm going to try your recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete