Monday, March 19, 2012

Rainbow Connection

 I really love inspired spaces for children to play and imagine things.  We keep such a space as you come in the door of our school.  It is a small table top that has many little things and often those things are related to a theme or area of interest in our classroom.  Right now it is about animals. lucky shamrocks and a rainbow.  I love it when a space comes together and I find a new little thing at the thirft store.  This past week I was lucky enough to find a small chest to hold the sparkly shamrocks I had been saving for after our March Break.


It didn't stop there for me.  When we finished building the work bench I decided we needed small books about all the new tools we will soon be using on our workbench.  Each book is a different colour and matches the tool on the work bench.  Our new vise really is a hot orange colour and our hand drill is green.

I found an old cd rack at the thrift store and it worked perfectly to organize and set up our new project books.

My thinking is that the children need to learn about the tools and how to use them before we can actually start the many woodworking projects I have ready to go.

I also, have a few more tiny things I need to get before that space is completely ready.

 Speaking of rainbows, I thought I would share this idea....this beautiful garland is made from colourful strips of paper that I sewed together on my sewing machine last year.  It is so bright and cheerful.  At a time when it is so dreary outside it is nice to look up and see this band of colours.  This was super easy to make and it so beautiful in our classroom.  It would be great in place of streamers at a child's birthday party.
 I also, continued the theme at our art table this week.  Fruit Loops!!  I hope I bought enough for the week.  I am sure there will be lots of munching along with the glueing!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it.  It makes such a pretty rainbow.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to give my daughter a heads up not to eat the fruit loops. They do make a lovely rainbow.....good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete