Monday, March 5, 2012

Material Making Weekend


 Like a crazy woman, I spent my weekend making new blue materials for our language shelf.  I am most certain I should have been painting and helping around our house but I had a bee in my bonnet and I really needed to get this work done and on the shelf. I had been waiting for weeks for a bag of tiny four letter phonetic objects and some sentence cards and objects to arrive and on Friday they finally did.

I decided to make my own reading cards for our reading boxes and was able to locate a great Montessori font here.  It was free to download and printed up beautifully on blue card stock.

The tricky part was cutting it all out the right size which was largely dictated by my box size and then laminating and cutting again.  I LOVE these smart snap boxes available at Staples.  I know, they are plastic :(  but really they are so durable and pretty.  Given how much action these little reading boxes are seeing these days, I really needed something durable.  Our small blue paper boxes were just not cutting it anymore.  

 The children are so drawn to these reading boxes.  I think it is because they want or rather need to hold the tiny objects in their little hands.  I hear them sometimes playing out a little scene with them and think to myself what great story tellers they are becoming.

You are in for such a treat at parent teacher tonight!  Your children are doing such amazing things.  They are reading and writing and have evolved so much in the last year.

I am so happy making new things for our shelves.  I know I make my husband crazy when I work late into the night or on weekends but he gets it now and understands my need to make things.  Please try not to notice the state of my desk tonight!  I've got better things to do then clean it up and I have so many projects waiting to go out on the shelves.

In my mind, my desk is a prepared environment :)

2 comments:

  1. I noticed the boxes on the shelves, good to know that they are from staples. All your work is fantastic! I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my daughter cannot wait to "graduate" to the pink books. As per usual, you do such wondeful things at MTM. Thank you to all!

    ReplyDelete