Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Being the Teacher

There is a such a sense of being bigger right now and with that comes a loveliness that it really hard to put into words.  I am trying to show you with pictures.  The last couple of days I have asked for someone else to be the teacher and to guide the children through the CD story as we transition to our playground line.  I am here in the room but sitting on the fringes ready to help if need be.  The child is guiding the story and turning the pages as we listen to the story and wait for the cues.  It made such an impression on the children and the three children that had turns were very proud to have this opportunity to take on this role.  The other children listening were that much more captivated and so I watched this loveliness unfold and just be.

There is a great sense of community within the Montessori classroom, where children of differing ages work together in an atmosphere of cooperation rather than competitiveness. There is respect for the environment and for the individuals within it, which comes through experience of freedom within the community. 
Dr Maria Montessori (cited in Elizabeth Hainstock, 1986, p. 81 - The Essential Montessori)
I am sure you've heard of, " Pete the Cat"  it is a very popular story that the children request over and over again.  It is very funny, lyrical and has great cadence.  Ask your children about this story and see what they tell you!

3 comments:

  1. Just perfect for the colors theme I assume, because of what my little one told me about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has said in passing how much she loves her white shoes and I've been wondering what white shoes she means. I'll have to read this book, it must be alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking into the school and seeing everyone dancing and singing to this song! So fun.

    ReplyDelete