Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Imaginative Sensory Play

I am constantly looking for new and exciting ideas/ inspiration for our shelves. I came across an idea for a sensory bin. The idea is that you keep it fresh and full of tiny interesting treasure. Also, the texture is very important as the children will be exploring this with their hands and mind with some imaginative play.
Some other great choices for this tray could be rocks, dirt, aquarium rocks,
sand, wool, jello, and shredded paper.

Yes you heard me correctly. I said play. Often in montessori we refer to the objects on our shelves as materials and work. In work there must be play and that is the purpose of the sensory bin/tray. This is one that I made last night when I was changing up the practical life work on the shelves. I have been home for the last few days with a sick girl and I escaped to my work last night for many hours. It was a lot of fun and I will be heading back again tonight.

This sensory tray is Easter inspired and the bunnies were to be for another project surrounding literacy. I just couldn't get it all together in time to work with our fairies. Sometimes, there are not enough hours in the day and I had to let that project go. The wool bunnies were made by the Wool Fairy. Thank You dear friend!

I have not put this tray out yet as it is planned for next week. But, I thought I would give you a sneak peek.

Sensory trays are a great experience to make way for quiet sensory play that connects the child with their mind and imagination. I am thinking of making one for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment