Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Accidents Happen

Yesterday morning one of the children arrived at school and promptly came over to show me a treasure that she found on her front lawn. It was the most beautiful and perfect robins egg. I had to look so closely at it because it almost didn't look real. Perhaps, I just looked at way to much Easter candy on the weekend!

So, my little friend and I looked at this tiny egg and talked about how we should show it. In the end, it was decided that it would go on the nature table for all to enjoy.

Later in the morning, I heard two other children arguing at the nature table and I went over to see what was happening. Upon my arrival at the nature table I discovered that the tiny egg was broken and one of the children was crying as she felt horrible about what happened. Apparently, they were trying to make a more comfortable nest for the tiny egg and it slipped and fell on the floor.

I said accidents happen but that really they should go and tell their other friend who brought the egg as I was sure she would feel sad about it.

At first, I myself was very sad and disappointed about the broken egg. But as I watched the children go, apologies exchanged and worked out I realized this was a great experience for everyone involved. Things happen and I think we all learned the importance of letting go that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment