Sunday, October 3, 2010

Felt Fun


This past Friday I was having a fun day with my little girl and we ended up at the fabric store. It is funny to me that she can be so happy in and content looking at fabric and notions with me. For me it was about my next project which has actually grown into four more projects by the time I was ready to go home. I started off wanting fabric to make pjs for the monkeys in my house for Christmas and well lets just say I spent my weekend sewing and cutting.

It is funny to me how much joy I get out of creating something new for the classroom and so I was up at 6 am Saturday morning cutting felt and playing with my latest creation for mt. A felt board is an easy thing to make and use as a teaching tool. A very good friend made one for the teachers at mt last year for Christmas and some stories as well. We have all enjoyed using them and I was thinking that a small version might be nice for the shelf with seasonal and timely with some of the new work that is evolving at the school.

If you want to make a felt board all you have to do is buy a painters canvas and cover the top with tacky glue and hot glue the sides down. I kept mine face down on my dining room table for the night until it was dry and you need to pull the felt tight so your board doesn't have nay wrinkles. Then you are free to create anything or story you want for it. We will use it for apple counting and I've made a pumpkin vine and life cycle, jack-o-lantern, and I couldn't resist the tree. Feel free to check it out when you come. I am sure it will be our new popular piece of work over the next little while. Oh and if you were wondering....I did make two because my girl HAD to have her own and after all she did hang with me for a long time at the fabric store. Happy Felting!

No comments:

Post a Comment