Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How do you get to One Hundred?


An important way that teachers in a Montessori environment support their students is by making careful observations. When a teacher observes and takes note of a child's interests and abilities she is better able to design a program that meets that particular child's needs. When it comes to early learning one size does not fit all.

Today, I invited a child “F” to practice the Spindle Boxes. This is a math activity where the child counts out quantities to nine. “F” said to me “I don't want to do this because I know how to count to one hundred! I count to a hundred with my Mom and Dad all the time.” I said “Alright why don't I show you the “Hundred Board?” This is a board squared off and numbered from one to one hundred and the child places the corresponding number tiles on the squares. First the child matches the number on the tiles with the number on the board and than when she becomes proficient she can place the tiles on a blank hundred board. “F” happily completed this activity which required patience and time. She pointed to the 40 tile and said “My Dad is 40!” I did point out to her that I am closer to 100 in age than her Dad.

Posted by the other Ms. M

No comments:

Post a Comment