Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Classroom Outside


Playground time is an important part of our day here at Maple tree Montessori. It is a time when the children get to burn their energy and hone gross motor skills. It is also a time where social relationships among peers can really start to develop.

I observed a wonderful example of these blossoming relationships when a boy “M” discovered a huge tree branch courtesy of Hurricane Earl. He quickly enlisted three other boys: LB, LW and F and together they moved this branch (which was the size of a small tree) to the middle of the playground. M then said “Lets lean it up against the fence”. The four of them cheerfully lugged the thing back across the playground to the fence. They leaned it against the fence and when I walked over to look at their handiwork M proudly said, “This is a fortress!” LB sat on it and said “Its a horse” and F crawled under it and said “Its a tunnel!” Mildred Parten described this type of play as cooperative play where children work towards a common goal. This is an important milestone in a child's social development.

It was truly magical to watch. We all have broken tree branches in our lives. I hope that we can see the possibilities in ours that these boys saw in theirs.

1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying your blog!! (:

    You know I can't agree more! I know with my two, that daily dose of free play outdoors is so critical to their mental and physical well being. I have fond memories of last spring when I used to pick up J & M from Maple Tree with a garbage bag in hand. It was required to transport the muddiest snow suits EVER back home to the washing machine. The dirtier the better. I knew they had enjoyed their playground time at MT with their friends!! Friendships were formed in those muddy puddles (:

    ReplyDelete