Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stories

I am in full swing with work on the classroom for orientation and our fall start.  When I was little I would dream about what my teacher would do to change the classroom for our return to school.  One year, grade four I think, I had a teacher who brought her record player to school and played records while we worked on our Math problems .  It was super cool and it left quite the impression on all of us.

As I plan and figure out what I want to change and where I want things to go I am also on the hunt for items on my ever growing wish list.  More lamps, new to us rugs, cosy chairs and a sofa for the cosy corner.  While I have invested in a few brand new pieces for our classroom I have also been careful to repurpose things also.  Yesterday I found this sweet tiny children's set on Kijiji.  What a find!  I drove all the way to Seabright for it and also got the story on the the furniture.  The man I bought this set from doesn't have children and it has never been used.  He is a painter who was working for an upholster who was going through a divorce and was short on funds to pay for the painting job at the end.  He gave this set in leu of money for payment.  The painter (man I bought it from) always thought he would be able to sell it and recoup his loss.  The chair and sofa are custom made.  Off and on it has been up for sale on Kijiji and as luck would have it I got it for Maple Tree!

I can not even begin to express my joy over this really.  It's just one more thing that makes Maple Tree truly a children's house.  This set will be in our newly revamped cosy corner at our Quinpool Campus.  But do not fret.  The Cork Street Campus has some equally beautiful items and a new sofa for that space as well.  I will be sure to come back to this space and give you a tour with some new photos of the reinvented spaces for the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment