Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Sound of Silence



My voice carries, especially when I am enthusiastic about something. I have had to learn to lower my voice and soften my tones.  In fact because I have had to learn it myself I know that this is a learned skill.  The first time I saw the silence game I didn't know if I liked it or not.  I wasn't sure if it was developmentally appropriate.   I'm starting to learn differently.  The silence game is when the teacher announces to the class that we are going to try to move around the classroom without making any noise.  Often a “silence” sign is hung on the wall or a candle is lit. I think it is a good thing for children to know that they can control their bodies and voices.  I am noticing  lately that when I attend workshops or meetings  there are often people having side conversations when the instructor or members of committees are trying to talk.  

 Perhaps because of the digital age we have become “constant communicators.”  We are always in touch. We are always replying.  What we seem to be doing very little of is listening. And by listening I don't just mean listening to others I mean being still and listening to those sounds that come out of the silence.  Sometimes at the beginning or end of circle I will say “Close your eyes and listen, when you hear something put up your hand and I'll ask you what you hear.”  Some hear teachers talking in hushed tones, some hear dishes rattling, cars going by, the door opening or even a monster, or a bear....  My point is, the opportunities that come from stillness are endless.  Sometimes we play the silence game where we move around the classroom using quiet bodies and voices.  The children can sustain this for up to 5 minutes.  It doesn't sound like a lot but it takes a great deal of control.  A favorite game that I often play at the end of circle when we are transitioning into hand washing and lunch is the Secret Agent Game.  I take out a chalk board and tell the children that they have to watch for their name and if they miss it they will have to wait for it to come up again during the game.  They become very focused on this game and not only are they practicing attending they are also recognizing their own name in print.

 Another game I play is before circle I will call my group one at a time using a whisper.  Because they are interested in hearing their name they listen very quietly.  We sometimes also play the quietest quietest game where the children get ready to go to the playground as quietly as they can and the children who were really really quiet get to choose their partners.  This is a powerful incentive for some of the children.
 We do not  expect utter silence in the classroom all the time .  Children at this age are learning how to communicate and they need to talk and use language.  The reason  we do silence exercises with the children is because it is important for the children to know that they have the ability to control the sounds that they make.  I also stress (every single day) that we live in a community and that some of our friends are concentrating and that we should talk  in our quiet indoor voices.  I also invite them to practice talking in a small voice. ex.  “Show me how you say “Hi” in a quiet voice.   When we go outside however we make it clear to the children that they are “Allowed to be loud.”  ~Ms. Melanie



5 comments:

  1. We've been practicing being quiet at home lately especially while other people are talking. Noise naturally escalate as everyone vies for attention and we're trying to encourage the kids to take turns and not yell over one another or try to be the loudest as everyone talks about their day. I am always amazed at how quiet or focused the classroom seems when I come in and it's to everyone's credit that it is kept at a respectful noise level. I love the idea of lighting a candle to symbolize the time of quiet... we might need to try that at home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My house is always too loud, I'm very used too because I came from a big noisy family, but my husband is always complaining about it. I'm going to try to encourage myself first and the kids to have an indoor voices at home or when someone is talking. Lets see how it goes...
    Thanks
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! We have also been trying to stress the importance of quiet times around our home - especially during snuggle time or bedtime. I love that it is something she gets to experience in her sacred school setting. I have to admit that as a working Mom who would dearly love to be a stay at home Mom...it warms my heart to read your posts and it reassures me that we have chosen the perfect place for our child. She amazes me every day and I know it is due in part to the nurturing and teaching you have provided. Thank you so much!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this post. I have been learning meditation practices and the benefits to quieting the mind and the voice are amazing. Thanks for introducing yoga practice to the children...this is waht got me interested in meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Communication is so important. It's nice to know that our children are learning that body language and listening can sometimes speak more strongly than words.

    ReplyDelete