Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mad About Math

Yesterday, was a day filled with number work.  I had the chance to work with six different children and they all went for math work.  This first piece of work shows a child working with the hundred board.  She is counting and arranging her numbers 1 through 100.  There is a control in this work in that the board she is laying her number tiles on is already numbered so she has to match them and place them.  We will be turning the board over to the blank side and the new challenge will  ordering the numbers without the control chart.  This is a big bit of work in that it takes a long time to complete.  It requires lots of patience and concentration.
Also got the chance to present new work myself today.  I love this part of the classroom and it is nice when I get to just be and work with the children.  I have a friend who had mastered the teen bead hanger and so I gave the presentation to the decimal system.  I showed one, ten, hundred and thousand.  I also placed the number cards and had her build her own Thousand, hundred and ten using the golden bead material from the bead cabinet and bank box.  My friend really enjoyed this work and I can see that in no time at all we will be moving along into the bird's eye view game and the bank game.  

There is lots going on with math and many are in sensitive periods for number work and ordering numbers.  Exciting times indeed!

I also got to practice number rods with P, and spindle boxes and cut out numbers and counters with AB.  It was a lovely morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment