Sunday, November 6, 2011

Nurturing my naturalist

 This weekend we spent a lot of time hiking and walking our dog.  It was also a great chance to savour and enjoy the woods before the first snow flies and everything changes.  There were moments of quiet and time to listen and feel the wind.
 My girl lives for these walks and I am so glad for them myself.  If I am feeling cranky it is an instant mood lifter.  I love how when we are walking all kinds of conversation just comes and questions get asked and answered.
A while a go we bought a small basket for gathering at the farmers market.  It is just perfect for fingerless gloves and a casted arm!
Yesterday, we were in search of some pinecones.  The day before we had noticed that the ground was covered in them.  We will be needing lots of pinecones for our various holiday art projects.
My girl has a special space dedicated to her seasonal treasures.  It is called our nature table and she has made a space in her bedroom for it under her window.  This space holds all the things she has found that are near and dear to her and it is changing all the time based on what she finds  and needs to keep.
Encouraging a love of our natural environment is really important to me and so we will always have this space in our home.

3 comments:

  1. I recently had my birthday on monday with the sun shining , the orange and red leaves ever so brilliant. People asked me what I was going to do for my birthday. My answer was to spend the whole day outside.
    Adele and I walked, pet animals, racked leaves and absorbed the fresh air. The best gift was a glorious fall day.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I've been feeling like every day the sun is shinning is a gift. It is nice to take those moments to slow down and enjoy those times. It is often the simplest thing that brings the greatest joy. I'm glad your day was so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is such a special time of year to slow down and inhale the loveliness of nature. I really enjoy talking to my daughter about how all these things around us prepare for winter. She finds it so amazing how and why the trees loose their leaves and get ready for "a long sleep". We are so lucky to live in a place where fall seems to take its time.

    ReplyDelete