Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Let them eat cake

We had some friends in for dinner last night who we haven't seen in about four years and I decided I should share my recipe for Upside down pineapple cake with them and you. The funny thing is I only ever seem to make it this time of year and never for us just company!

Needless to say, it was nice to have a break from the renovations and packing going on at the school. I have come to the conclusion that summer is really not a time off for me. The pace is a bit slower and there is flexibility in my schedule but really it is my March break that feels like vacation and time off.

Over the next few weeks I will post some of the projects I am working on and possibly some photos of the newly renovated space (depends on how down to wire it comes to)!

Upside Down Pineapple Cake
2 Tbs of butter
2 Tbs packed brown sugar
pinch of cinnamon
pineapple slices (as many as you can fit in your frying pan)

I must say I am generous with these ingredients and rarely ever measure anything and it always works out for me. I think I get that gift from my grandmother :)
After the pineapple has nicely caramelized then place them in a pan. I used a bundt pan but any pan works. Spring form leaks so don't use that unless you want a fire in your oven.






Cake Batter
1/2 C butter softened
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
11/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C sour cream or plain yogurt(I used plain yogurt as that is what I had on hand)

Mix wet ingredients first and alternate the flour with the sour cream until mixed.
Spoon into prepared pan with pineapple and bake for 45 minutes at 350. When cake is done let rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes (set your timer) and invert onto a cake plate to continue to cool. If you forget to do this you will never get the cake out.
-Cake is from Canadian Living

Rum Sauce
Oh yes....we had rum sauce and I will say to you that it is so Divine I don't know why anyone would make it with out!

In to a pot:
1 C sugar
1/4 c Rum, bourbon or other whiskey
2 Tbs water
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
Cook all this until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat and whisk into this one egg that has been beaten. Trust me, you will not make scrambled egg in your sauce but you must whisk constantly and then return your pot to the heat to cook for 1 minute or until thick. Serve warm on your cake and I might add a dollop of whipping cream!

-The rum sauce is from the Joy of Cooking



No comments:

Post a Comment