Thursday, April 16, 2020

Reading work and Bunny Baskets

 Maria Montessori once said, "The goal of early childhood education should be to activate the child's own natural desire to learn".   I've been thinking about that a lot these last few weeks as I move through my days and think about what I will teach on line with my children next.  
It's been tricky transitioning to online teaching.  Lots of things to work out such as camera and platform I want to use that makes the most sense and is easy to use for the parents and children.  We've done a lot through our school Instagram account (michellesmapletree) .  Teaching online has allowed me to do a few things I haven't been able to do, such as a baking lesson.  I find this really challenging in our normal set up as so many little hands want to be in on the action and then someone doesn't get a turn.  Moving this to as live video has been great because the children can participate from their own home with their own ingredients and also they can adapt the recipe to meet their own food sensitivities.  The baking sessions have been well received.  While the the actual food is baking I stop and read a story to the children.  I feel very connected during this time and it has been such a big lift to not only me but my children and their parents as well.
So we've done language lessons, math lessons, baking, yoga and art!  Before Easter we did a live session in art making our own paper mache Easter  Baskets. 
Paper Mache Materials

I love how the baskets have turned out.  The children have made Dinosaur Baskets, cat baskets and Easter Egg Baskets.  Each one was different and each one was beautiful. 
Dinosaur Baskets

  
Cat Basket
Easter Egg Bunny Basket

No comments:

Post a Comment