Friday, May 4, 2012

The Week in Review

I'm just taking popping in to wish you all a happy weekend and give you some snapshots of our week.  It has been a very busy one. 
I am sure that you noticed that incredible paper structure on our carpet on Monday when you picked up at the end of the day.  We had the pleasure of working with some Scientists from  Dalhousie University's "Lets talk Science" program.  Two scientists came in and made structures with our children. 

 We learned how to make bridges with paper and what it is about the design that makes them so strong.


 We learned about layers and strength with tissues.  Testing to see how many layers before our structure collapsed. 


 We built an amazing Paper Structure with Triangles and tubes.  When I stopped for a moment to look back on the morning I noticed that our children are using these materials all the time.  It is in all that we do with our various Sensorial Materials. 

What was interesting, was that when I stopped to listen to the children as this structure was being built, I heard lots of talk about whether or not it was an octogon or a pentagon or something else.  I didn't intrude on this discussion to correct anyone I just let it naturally unfold.

I am thinking we will be making more structures, perhaps on our next rainy day!
 The addition Strip board saw a lot of action this week.  My friend here can add all the way up into the nines!  She was so proud of herself. 

 You will be seeing lots of lifecycle work coming home.  We are patiently waiting on our butterfly larva.  I hope it comes soon. 

Beautiful Binomial work!  Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. wow! so much lovely work going on in the classroom. I love those structure experiments and just might have to get some of that going on at home.

    Butterflies are shipping on Monday. I'm coming to the city Thursday morning so hopefully can make the delivery then!

    see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this work looks amazing and super fun. Can't wait to see what comes home, art and conversation.

    ReplyDelete