Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Maple Tree Giving Tree




For as long as Maple Tree has been around we have had a giving tree during the holidays. The tree is something we build in the classroom with the children and then we decorate it during our December month at school. During this time we make grocery lists with the children by having them cut up flyers and glue pictures on card stock this is their list for shopping. I also arrange for some durable and ecological bags from our local environment store and I send them home with a note attached for parents. This is really meant as a shopping experience for the child. The parents are to take their child to the grocery store and allow them to choose the items for the bag. The children are invited and encouraged to decorate the bag before hand. When all the gift bags are in by the last day of school my family delivers them to the Parker Street Food Bank and we have lunch. It has become our family tradition and my children have come to really look forward to it. It is amazing to me how humbled my ten year old is when we walk into the food bank and it is empty and people are thanking us over and over again. Every year he tells me that he is glad we do this and that maybe next year we could do more. Food is such a simple and basic need and sometimes I think we forget how much others need it. I hope you are able to find a way to give back with your family this holiday season. Thank you to our parents for supporting this project so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment