Monday, February 17, 2014

Game On

 Olympic fever is in full swing at our school right now.  In fact we about to kick things into high gear this week!

Last week we had our children work on flags so they could represent a country.  That work will continue this week.  The children will get to wear their flag later this week when we do our version of the biathlon!


A couple of week ago, Melanie and I were at an all day work shop on Book making and extended art ideas.  It was a good workshop and we came away with some new ideas.  One of the ideas the presenter was expanding on was using all kinds of material to apply paint with.  Are her Centre, they used Large plungers.   I thought in the moment what a great idea that was and filed it away.  Later int he week i found myself at Canadian Tire for something completely different and happened upon small plungers.

Olympic Rings at the Art Table
The Light bulb went off and I bought two sets of five.  One for each campus but also lots for painting projects.  I thought they would be a brilliant way to make the olympic rings and I was right.  The children have enjoyed making their version of the olympic rings.  I especially love how unique each and everyone's version is.  We have the stamping set up at Quinpool Rd this week.  We will also be making our own medals for the closing Ceremonies at the end of this week.

 On Thursday I am sure your children came home and told you about all the puck shooting they did!
My husband has been working on making a rink in our back yard at Quinpool and we finally had a window to use it.  Plans are already underway for something bigger and more permanent for next season.  With the threat of rain for Friday, I pulled  the plug on other plans for the morning and we went off to Ardmore park to shoot pucks.  Each child had many turns and it was a fun morning.
Quinpool Ice


Shooting On the Net
 Truth be told, I am a hockey Mom and my husband has coached our children all the way through.  We were always worried about self esteem and coaches that yell alot.  There are a lot of things wrong with hockey for young people these days and so we always felt if one of us was on the bench it would be better.   My oldest is six feet tall at thirteen and will probably only play for another year or two.  Our youngest is eight and finding her feet and really enjoying learning about hockey.  Hockey is a great sport for girls and it has done wonders for our girl with confidence and self esteem.  Anyway, more great stuff coming this week.   Stay tuned!
Cork Street Ice

No comments:

Post a Comment