Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sunshine in a Vase

 This project is a couple of weeks old now and I've meant to post it sooner and share my thoughts about it.  We are looking at two artist this month.  Van Gogh and Cezzane.  Over the years I have collected some fantastic children's books about various artist.

 Van Gogh and the Sunflowers is one of those books.    It is a lovely read and we were able to look at Sunflowers up close from my garden and talk about them.

Those same sunflowers are now drying out as we will use them for seed collecting work.  Aren't sunflowers incredible?  They just keep giving.  They grow and blossom and provide food for animals and inspiration to the young budding artist and seeds for the next year for planting.  They are a most cheerful bit of loveliness in a fall garden and the last small bit of summer.
On this day that we looked at Van Gogh, I painted my own vase of flowers based on a vase set up at the art easel.  The children watched me mix colours and smoosh my brush and well, just have fun with it.  The result was beautiful.  I very much enjoyed watching children come and go and paint their own version of what they saw during that week.  I am setting this up at our Quinpool campus this week and am excited to see what the children see and paint.  I think my favourite paintings are the ones that are very loose and free.  You will see what I mean when you scroll through.  The colour mixing was fun to watch.  I am not an artist and I do not have an art background but I do feel very passionate about putting real materials in children's hands and making sure they understand and appreciate all kinds of art.  It is one of my most favourite things about being a teacher.  ~Ms. Michelle









No comments:

Post a Comment