Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Georgia On My Mind

 It's true, I am thinking about Georgia O'Keeffe.  Leading up to this month, I knew we would be looking at her art and talking about poppies.

I love to study artists with children.  It leads into lovely art projects and beautiful discussions.  Today, I read Through Georgia's Eyes .  Reading this book to the children today brought out wonderful conversations on her art and what they saw when they looked at it.  Some of the comments were, "I see an ice monster" for one of the abstract pieces.  "I see the sun and mountains".  We talked about how sometimes we can see many things when we look at a picture for a long time.  We talked about how Georgia knew she wanted to be an artist for a long time but wasn't allowed because she was a girl.  We talked about her strength and determination.

There is a lot that is beautiful in our classrooms this week.  Make sure you take time to notice the beauty in it all.  ~Ms. Michelle
Georgia O'Keefe Art Cards with Labels

Cloud Work


Tissue paper poppies






No comments:

Post a Comment