Monday, September 10, 2012

Thinking and Drawing

 I am so glad school has started again because I miss not writing in this space about our adventures.  Last week we had a chance to travel to a place where letters dominated the forest and so we read, talked and drew our own version of Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom.  I can't tell you how much I love this book.  It is rhythmic and soft and powerful and well just very satisfying as a teacher and reader to read to young children.  It has long been a favourite in our house and our copy is well loved and used.

I got particularly excited when a parent donated some sticky letters to us (THANK YOU)!  I knew I would use them to have our children make their own version of Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom.

Dr. Montessori talked of how the mind and hand are connected.  I believe she once said, "hand is the extension of mans intelligence".  It is so important to spend time with your children not only reading, but drawing also.  Life is so fast today and children seem overwhelmed when you ask them to draw anything.  We will spend a lot of time putting pencil to hand in our work and art projects.   I encourage you to keep some and to file some;)!  But notice how your child's work and art evolves not only with their hand but with reading and language also.  You would be amazed how much things change and how fast language starts to take off.  ~Ms. Michelle





No comments:

Post a Comment