Monday, June 18, 2012

And the tree came tumbling down

 Today was an especially exciting day in so many ways.  Firstly, I had a meeting with my licensing consultant at the new location and we put a plan together regarding paperwork deadlines and she brought me some amazing ideas for our new outside space.    I can't say who she is but I can say this...she is amazing and she makes my work life so much easier and I know I would be pulling my hair out if it weren't for her.
 Secondly, Myles from Collins' Tree Service came to cut down our tree.  He is the nicest man I think I have ever met.  He came today to cut down the Massive Maple Tree just outside the front door of our new space.  Not only did he do such an awesome job of cutting down the tree but he was super professional, affordable (really affordable) and he let me dictate how I wanted my tree cut.

We all watched patiently as he cut long sticks and big logs for walking on.  We had some cut so long that they formed a teepee in the back garden already with a blue tarp.  I even had Myles cut me chunks of wood  into steps for our new play space.  When he realized what I wanted them for he was so happy to take the time to make it just right for me.

It was so exciting to watch the massive trunk fall and crack in two.  We were told it was a good idea that we cut it down as although it appeared big and strong it was actually compromised and weak.  We just saved our house I am sure of it.
I also, had a moment...a reflection, a memory, I'm not sure.  Perhaps it was the smell of the freshly cut wood  and the gas from the power saw.  It took me back to when I was little and my Dad worked in the woods and would come home at the end of his days smelling just like that.  We would go out and stack wood after dinner until it got dark and talk and talk.  I was just as keen then as I am now for that pleasure and time with my own girl.
 So much wood, so much fun stacking it and building with it.  It was all I could do to keep her still until it was safe to get in there and play.
So, now I need to get digging!!  We have the sunniest front yard, perfect for growing tomatoes, sunflowers, and pole beans for starters.
Oh, and some where in the middle of all this I went to Halifax seed and bought bird feeders and houses and more plants!  I am beyond excited about this new space of ours!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. Im sure the new play space will be amazing and lots of fun and the process will be something special too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all so very exciting - we'll be anxious to see the new play area as well as the new home for MTM. I know it's a lot of work, but it seems like you're doing your best to enjoy the process and have some fun with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. M- Keep up the great work and vision- seems like a huge project but will be great in the end. Thanks for a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Today it feels like Mount Everest!

    ReplyDelete