Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Giving Tree

The tree got put together today.  For those of you that are new to our school, we have been building this tree for the last three years.

I call it our giving tree because we will fill the under neath of it with food for Parker Street Food Bank.  Tomorrow I am sending home the bamboo bags from Plovers.  They will have a note attached explaining our project and each child will get a bag.

During the next two weeks we will be heading to the grocery store to learn about shopping for the bag and making our own grocery list with the children.  You might be wondering how a three year old could make a list that they can read and understand.  That is simple.  We will be using fliers and cutting them up and glueing our ideas to card stock.  All the children will be encouraged to do this.  Frankly, I really don't have to try to hard when we put out glue and card stock!!
The pull to glue something is always great in our classroom.

Please take time to colour your food bags or paint them with your children.  They are to be gift bags for the food we are giving.  We will be talking about food, hunger and need.  When you have your bag decorated go out to the grocery store and let your child fill it.  They will surprise you with what they think is important and please, have fun with this project.  Thank You to my Friend the Wool Fairy for the beautiful branches that were freshly cut this morning for our Tree!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks lovely! So great to see you today for a quick, but nice visit. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful, and I just like it more with all the crafts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was completely surprised when I saw it last week. You had spoken about the tree before but it's even more beautiful than I had expected. I am looking forward to sharing the teachings of the giving tree project with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea!! It looks great in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night as I was getting ready to go to yoga, Roarke rolled out my mat and had his big sister sit down with him...then he started teaching her some of the things he has learned in yoga. It was a perfect moment - I wanted to thank you for giving Roarke this gift that he can then share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the giving tree, what an amazing idea, would love to do that at my centre. Great idea putting the food bank items under it.

    ReplyDelete