Friday, February 4, 2011

All You Need Is Love


I've been sewing for the last week to get these beautiful wool felt hearts out on the shelf in our classroom. The teachers and I have been talking a lot about sensory experiences and these wool hearts certainly enhance that for the children.

We are always looking for new ways to have the children practice their counting and, sometimes, even we get tired of cut-out numbers and counters. I started these hearts last year but ran out of steam. I was, however, eager to finish them and get them out this year.

The "aahhhhhhs" were so exciting to hear as child after child watched and then tired these out for themselves. The feedback from the children has been wonderful. We've heard things like, "they are so soft and beautiful and I can feel the number with my finger tip" and "how did Ms. Michelle make them so puffy?"

I feel that not only did we appeal the the child's senses on this experience but they are practicing math and working on that all-important pincer grip with attaching the clothes pins.
I love our children, and I love making new work by hand for them. They love it so much and it shows. Love is all you need.




No comments:

Post a Comment