Thursday, September 27, 2012

Finger Paint and the Sand Paper Numbers


 It appears I am not only thinking of the Sand Paper Letters right now but also the Sand Paper Numbers!  This week in my classroom I set up a work station for the children to finger paint numbers. ( Don't worry I've shared this with the other campus and it will be out on their shelf next week)!!

I must confess, this was not my idea. My daughter actually brought this home from school a week earlier and it got me to thinking about numbers and sensory experiences.  It is so important that children learn good habits with letter and number printing.  In my early days of teaching (gee I sound old) I use to keep a small box with sand in it so the children could make the letter or number I presented when I presented the sandpaper letters or numbers.  Do you know how amazing it is to just sit and feel sand run through your fingers?  Finch seed is like that also.  It as an incredible silky feel.  I have had that out at a table just so the children can sit and pour it through their hands.  I have watched a few do it for long periods of time.  Sensory experiences are so very important.  Many things happen to children in those moments.  The settle, they figure out a few things, and they feel quiet.  
 Anyway, back to the numbers...I wanted the children to learn how to trace or make their numbers properly by touch.  So I set up pages of numbers, a small bowl for dipping your finger, paper towel for dabbing and a pencil to record their name.
 I set out an example that I actually made in front of the children.  It was very cool having them so quiet and watching my every move as I made my own set of numbers.  It really is amazing what they take in and how keen they are to make their own version.  The best part of this project was that you used your fingers to do the painting.  I was amazed at how respectful the children were with the paints.  They were so careful not to muddle them all up and to clean their finger each time they changed the colour.

Wouldn't it be fun if we could go through life signing our pay checks this way?!

~Ms. Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Generally, I don’t read posts on blogs, however, I wish to say that this write-up
    very forced me to take a look at and do so! Thanks for sharing amazing content. If anyone of you wants to get Bomb Squad Mod APK unlimited health and tickets and also the mod versions of all games and apps, then make sure to visit APKMILYand get the authentic and latest versions of all kinds of games and apps

    ReplyDelete