Saturday, January 29, 2011

Harold and the Purple Crayon


In the last week our weather has limited us to either staying put in the classroom or walks around the neighbourhood due to the wicked windchill, ice and treacherous conditions at playground making it just not safe.

So what to do?

One of these days I pulled out Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson and I invited a group of children to stay back and listen to the story and draw. I started first by just reading the story and then I pulled out some really big paper and gave each child a big space, paper and a purple crayon. The idea was to have them draw their version of the story. Wow, I can't even begin to tell you how amazing that experience was.

The children were completely into the experience and the story and I have posted some picture of the the exercise.


Sometimes it is the simple things like good old paper and crayons that make for the most fun and imaginative play and the biggest adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment